News & Events

Every year, millions of pounds go unclaimed in Married Tax Allowance. Could you be entitled to backdated money?

If you are married or in a civil partnership and one of you does not earn enough to pay tax, is on benefits, studying, or is unwell, and the other earns less than £51,000 per year, you could be entitled to some of the money back. You won’t be penalised if you apply and are not entitled so it’s worth trying. Make sure to apply by 5 April 2024 and you could get some money backdated!

The rules are straightforward:

  • You must be either married or in a civil partnership.
  • One of you must earn below £12,750 per annum to pay tax. This includes persons on benefits, students, prisoners, and pensioners on state pension.
  • The other person must be earning less than £51,000, therefore being in the 20% tax bracket.

Applying only takes a few minutes. If you’re eligible, you’ll receive the money you’re owed within a few weeks by cheque or BACS payment. Just be aware of any scams, and do not click on links in emails or text messages.

How it works:

The non-taxpayer transfers 10% of their tax-free earnings allowance to the taxpayer, who then receives some money back from previous years or a change in tax code.
The non-taxpayer should apply using the online application on the HMRC website or by phone HRMC on 0300 200 3300.

Please circulate this to friends and family, as only some eligible people know or claim it.

You can only backdate the application for 4 tax years, so don’t delay. The deadline for the maximum backdated payment is 5 April 2024.

If you have any enquiries or need support, please contact Jane on 0800 054 6710 or by emailing

Share this article

Your opinion is important to us.

Did you find what you were looking for today?

You answered No, please specify what were you looking for?


Thank you for your feedback!