Shared Ownership

Get on the property ladder through Shared Ownership.

Shared ownership is becoming an increasingly popular way for first time buyers to get on the property ladder and even previous property owners to find more suitable accommodation.

We have a number of shared ownership properties available which you can view by visiting our New Developments page.

 

How Shared Ownership works:

  • You purchase an initial share of the property, in this example, lets say 25%.
  • This means that you would own 25% of the property and pay rent on the remaining 75%.
  • You are then able to purchase further shares of the property during your tenancy, this is known as stair-casing.
  • In this example, purchasing a further 10% would bring your total equity from 25% to 35%, meaning you would only incur rent payments on the remaining 65% of the property.
  • If you decide you want to sell your equity, CCHA will have 8 weeks to help you sell (or buy back) your shares. If your equity is not sold within this time, you can list the property yourself. However, if you already own 100% of the property, you can list it on the open market straight away.

 

For further information, you can download our Shared Ownership brochure by clicking here.