A handy guide to looking after your home
July 26th 2023, by Rachel Luney
We’ve been working with Axis to provide you with a handy guide on how to look after your home. We still carry out the main repairs, however there are some tasks that are residents responsibilities, and this guide will hopefully help you to do those.
The booklet covers but is not limited to:
- Plumbing – such as how to replace a toilet seat, deal with frozen pips or unblock a sink.
- Electrics – how to wire a plug, reset a trip switch or replace a fuse.
- Locks & latches – how to adjust a squeaky door, replace door knobs or fit a door chain.
- Central heating – how to set a digital programme, how to control heating temperate, how to look after your heaters and more.
- Draught proofing – how to fit a brush strip or draught seals.
- Decorating – how to fix things to walls, prepare a room for decorating, painting, strip wallpaper or mastic baths, basins and sinks.
- General advice – including how to look after your home and save energy and water.
The guide has written instructions on all tasks and provides video guides on some of the topics to show you how to do the task.
Make sure to read the Health & Safety Section before starting and if you are unsure of what you can do in your home, check the notes or contact us to confirm.
We hope you find this useful, and don’t forget you can still report your repairs to Axis or Smith & Byford as usual.
Axis (for general and communal repairs): 0800 056 7068
Smith & Byford (for gas boiler issues): 0800 169 7703